A total of 160 journals from the Modern Languages Association (MLA), USA have been added to it.The UGC-Care List has been made available at http://ugccare.unipune.ac.in, from April 1.
Besides that, after receiving several complaints from researchers, UGC has taken an important step in eliminating 71 questionable journals indexed in Scopus database. These 71 journals that have been removed will not be considered for any academic purpose.
“The Jayakar Knowledge Resource Centre has subscribed to the MLA database for the year 2020-21, especially for faculty members and researchers in the arts and humanities field. MLA provides access to 1,00 full text journals. Analysis of journals from MLA directory was carried out with the help of expertise from the UGC-CARE Center, South Zone at University of Hyderabad,” said Shubhada Nagarkar, coordinator,Centre for Publication Ethics.
Modern Languages Association (MLA)
The MLA directory covers areas of research in arts and humanities such as literature, literary theory, drama art, folklore, language, linguistics, pedagogy, rhetoric and composition, and the history of print and publishing. Many journals from MLA Directory are indexed in the Web of Science and Scopus databases.
n addition to hosting an annual convention and sustaining one of the finest publishing programs in the humanities, the MLA is a leading advocate for the study and teaching of languages and literatures and serves as a clearinghouse for professional resources for teachers and scholars. Visit the sections below to find out more about the MLA’s mission and governance or how to get in touch with us.
About the MLA
Founded in 1883, the Modern Language Association of America provides opportunities for its members to share their scholarly findings and teaching experiences with colleagues and to discuss trends in the academy. MLA members host an annual convention and other meetings, work with related organizations, and sustain one of the finest publishing programs in the humanities. For more than a century, members have worked to strengthen the study and teaching of language and literature. Learn more about the MLA’s mission.
Are you a new MLA member or just curious about the resources the MLA has to offer? Please read a welcome letter from the current MLA president, Judith Butler, to find out how the association is working to support its members and the humanities more broadly.
The MLA at a Glance
- Over 25,000 members in 100 countries
- Programs serving English and foreign language teachers
- An annual convention, with meetings on a wide variety of subjects, and smaller seminars across the country
- The MLA International Bibliography, the only comprehensive bibliography in language and literature, available online
- A book publication program issuing a number of new books each year and maintaining a backlist of over 200 titles
- 4 major periodicals: the ADE Bulletin; the ADFL Bulletin; Profession; and PMLA, one of the most distinguished journals in the humanities
- MLA Commons, a scholarly communication network and publishing platform
- A quarterly newsletter providing updates on association events and initiatives, stories about members’ innovative work, and other items of interest to members
- 156 forums for the scholarly, teaching, and professional interests of members
- More than 50 membership committees overseeing association activities and publications
- Leadership in the national education community
Membership Involvement in Association Activities
- Over 360 members are elected to govern the association through its Executive Council, Delegate Assembly, and other governance committees.
- Over 760 members serve on the executive committees of the 156 forums that represent the scholarly, teaching, and professional interests of various constituencies within the membership and that help determine much of the program at the annual convention.
- Over 2,000 members present each year at the convention.
- Hundreds of readers join the 52 members of the PMLA Editorial Board and Advisory Committee in reviewing essays submitted for publication.
- More than 120 specialists index articles and journals for the MLA International Bibliography.
- Over 80 members are involved in selecting the winners of the 25 prizes the MLA awards for outstanding language and literature publications.