The basic reasons why reading is important is that it helps in the growth of of emotional, mental and psychological aspects of a human behaviour. Every book you read would give you an opportunity to learn new ideas and implement them in your day to day life. Reading not only makes you intelligent but also smarter. For an author, writing a book takes a hell lot of efforts and dedication. He passes through several pains to come up with a single book. As readers we gain years of experiences by reading them. Reading improves our focus and concentration. Many of us spent our time surfing through the internet, watching videos and reading unnecessary memes. This is the reason people are losing focus. Thus, reading is an effective way to gain focus back. It helps in the discovery of yourself. When you read a book, you connect to various experiences and emotions. This not only makes you engrossed into the books but also guides you to to act in particular ways when you face such situations in life.
Reading also leads to the improvement of your emotional health. While reading a book you encounter many emotions such as happiness, anger, sorrow, surprise etc. But at the end, we always wish our hero to win. Your memory is also enhanced as you come across many words which you need to remember. U tend to become more creative and self motivated.
There are many reasons to be listed that why one should read books on a daily basis. Now, here are the ways to develop reading habits:
- The foremost step to start developing reading habits is to stop looking it as a chore. Start reading few pages everyday and steadily increase the number as you begin to enjoy the story. It will take time to be able read 500 pages at a stretch.
- Choose your genre of books such as fiction, non-fiction, fantasy or biography. It is better to know your taste of reading first rather than getting them halfway done and leaving.
- Start small. Reading short stories can be a a very good start for the budding readers.
- It is not necessary to complete a book till the end if you are not not finding it interesting. You may better leave it if you think that the book is not worth of your time.
- Don’t start reading a book having tough language. Obviously, you can take help of a dictionary but better start with those books which have simple vocabulary. Gradually you can move on to to reading such books.
- Paper is no more exciting. You can read from Amazon’s Kindle having millions of books of various genre.
- Read the books on a daily basis. Do not pressurise yourself if you don’t feel like reading a book for long hours. Start with reading 20-30 minutes daily and then gradually increase over time.
- Try to read before going to bed. This would not only improve your mental health but also would provide you a sound sleep.
- Read at quiet places where there are no disturbances at all.
- You can also keep a short diary with you to make notes for further references.
Categories: Personality and Self Help