Definitely, some may find horror movies as senseless but some may find it fascinating. It depends from person to person and the storyline of the movie. Watching horror movies with best friends may come up a bit funny. Unlikely watching them alone can be terrifying too. Some scenes make no sense. I mean what motivates you to go upstairs and investigate and follow the sound? https://youtu.be/X6pHNzqFy2E Asking who’s there, in an empty house. The spirit will answer back, totally unreasonable. I too crave horror movies, movies like The NUN with an interesting storyline can easily attract anyone. I mean this wasn’t terrifying but it had logic.
Health and Horror!
Taking a 30 min walk or watching a 90 min movie can burn equal calories. They actually boost heart rate, probably more pumping. One can come across premature aging on faces due to facial expressions. Adding frown lines can be a result of watching horror movies. The reason is while watching the horror scenes, we tend to change our expressions. According to Dr. Harry Singh, from beauty and wellness brand FOREO, by repeating this expression and stretching of Frontalis muscle we can formulate horizontal lines across the forehead. “What happens for most people is that you have an arousal of your sympathetic nervous system and an activation [to produce] adrenaline,” said AP Psychology teacher Heidi Mathers. Horror movies can cause side effects too. The most common among them is sleeplessness and anxiety.
Hollywood and Horror!
Hollywood movies have shown commercially great success in the Horror category. They are profitable because the movies have a low budget and are generally shot at a single location. The movie “The silence of the lambs” was very appreciated. People believed that “Prestige horror is back” after the movie Get out casting actor Jordan Peele won the best original screenplay in Oscar.
Oscar-winning Horror movies.
- Misery(1990)– Kathy Bates won an Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role starring in Misery.
- The silence of the Lambs(1991)– “Silence of the Lambs” has lasted as the most successful in its genre, with wins in the top four categories of best actor, actress, director, and screenplay. It was directed by Jonathan Demme.
- The Exorcist(1974)– Oscar Winner for Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another MediumWilliam Peter Blatty and for Best Sound. Though it has also been in the nominee list for other major categories.
- Jaws(1976)– This movie won an Oscar for Best Sound, Best Film Editing, Best Music, and was nominated for the best picture in the Oscars.
- The Sixth Sense(2000)– This movie didn’t win an Oscar but was part of the nomination list for many categories such as Best Picture, Best Actor and Actress in a Supporting Role, Best Director, Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen, Best Film Editing.
- Black Swan(2011)– The movie won an Oscar for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role. It was also nominated for Best Motion Picture of the Year, Best Achievement in (Directing, Cinematography, and in Film Editing) in Oscars.
- Get Out(2017)– Oscar Winner for Best Original Screenplay. It was also nominated for Best Motion Picture of the Year, Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, Best Achievement in Directing.