Coordination is the process of synchronizing the activities and works of different departments of an organization to show and ensure the unity and group or team work. Coordination allows the company to progress because obviously a team can work better than an individual. It helps in maintaining harmony and balance between the works in an organization. A group maintains a balance and thus provides proper quality work to its organization. It is basically a force that binds all the management functions. Coordination helps in running the various things in an organization such as purchase, production, sales and finance. Any organization with the coordination gives better results than others. Coordination is referred as the essence of management because it is sometimes considered as a separate function of management. Coordination is essential in maintaining the harmony among individuals working together so that everyone gets the praise for the part of work they have done. To elaborate that coordination is not a separate function, rather it is the part of the management, it can be seen in different parts which can be also said as the stages of coordination –
- Planning is the first stage of coordinating in which the top management decides what and how to execute the complete work.
- Next is the organizing step, in which the organizational plans are actually organized as per planning.
- Third stage is staffing which is performed after the plans are organized.
- Next stage of coordination is directing in which plans which are organized and staffed are actually executed.
- Last and final stage of coordination is controlling in which all the activities which are newly executed are controlled so that no confusion and problem occurs.
WHY IS COORDINATION IMPORTANT?????
The need for coordination in an organization arises due to following reasons –
- Growth in size of organization i.e. as the organization grows, number of employees increases and thus to manage more number of individuals there is a need of coordination.
- Functional differentiation in an organization i.e. different departments of an organization need to be coordinated for better management.
- Specialization in the people of organization may lead to discrimination due to which coordination is necessary.
CHARACTERISTICS OF COORDINATION
- Coordination tends to integrate different individual efforts in the form of a group.
- Coordination ensures and protects unity of actions and binds all the individuals of the departments of the organization.
- Coordination is a continuous process i.e. it never stops and goes on like management. It starts at the planning stage and continues till controlling stage. It can never stop if the organization needs to work better and gain popularity.
- Coordination like management, is all pervasive i.e. it is universal and is required at each level and in each department of the organization. It is basically a binding force, which can never stop.
- Coordination is the responsibility of managers i.e. all the head departments are responsible for coordinating to other departments because in the first stage of coordination which is planning, higher authorities are required.