Overthinking is a situation where a person thinks about something for a long period of time. It can also be called as the art of creating problem that does not even exists. It’s a physiological problem as all of our thoughts produces in our minds only. According to William James 99% of your thoughts are useless. How to find solution to your problems or to find ways to help someone or to gaining knowledge etc comes under useful thoughts.
There are many causes which provokes us to overthink on something.
- Trauma: a state of getting a great shock or sadness due to any incident.
- Thoughts of past: sometimes we can’t forget incidents of past like our performance on stage, answers we wrote in exams etc we start overthinking.
- Future happenings: will I be able to answer the questions in exam tomorrow, how will I present in front of audience etc. person gets very tensed thinking about these topics and start overthinking.
Overthinking is very hectic and harmful for our body. It causes serious health issues. These issues can be for a short or even for a long duration of time. Effects of overthinking on are body are:
- Mental illness
- Hair fall
- Insomnia (inability to sleep)
- Hypersomnia (excessive sleeping)
- Changes in appetite
- Reduce creativity
- Encourages anger
There are many other health issues like it kills your happiness as you always remain tensed, creates disputes and dissension between people, overthinking dwells the problem instead of solving it, it leads to negative thoughts, it takes lots of energy so it may lead to drop in your energy level. It creates trust issues between people. As a result, you start blaming yourself and others too for everything going on in your life whether good or not. it increases insecurities. Many other problems are associated with overthinking.
According to the physiology, when you overthink your body produces a stress hormone known as CORTISOL. When this hormone is constantly released it causes burnout.
There are many ways by which you can control this problem:
- Awareness: be aware about everything in your surroundings this can help in reducing your overthinking.
- Don’t think you are stupid or you can’t do anything; believe in yourself.
- Stop thinking for your past and future just live your present.
- Learn to identify your fears and try to overcome them.
- Write down solutions to your problems on a paper, not the problems.
- Do exercise like yoga, meditation, aerobics etc. for relaxation of your mind and also for improving your mental strength.
- Try to divert your mind from the problem for sometime by doing activities that you enjoy to do like your hobbies or watching tv or taking a sleep etc. this will help you in relaxing your mind.
There are many other ways to overcome this problem. You should try all these ways if you want to get rid of your problems but if they don’t work you should visit to your physiologist for the solution.
At last I just want to say that, stop spending so much time on your head and give your time and thoughts in something productive and beneficial for you and others around you.