Coconut oil is gaining a lot of popularity nowadays, because of its numerous health benefits. Coconut oil is produced from the kernel of mature coconuts and is one of the healthiest choices available for cooking. It is antibacterial and has moisturising and cleansing benefits. Widely used for cooking purposes, coconut oil also has a lot of benefits for the skin and hair. Cooking with coconut oil has many benefits like boosting heart health, managing weight, boosting immunity, and many more. Let’s find out the lesser know but great uses of coconut oil and how we can use it in our daily life –
- Oil pulling with coconut oil (Gandusha in Ayurveda) – Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic technique of holding the coconut oil inside your mouth and swishing it in between your teeth for 15-20 mins daily. It is best done preferably in the morning. Oil pulling is considered to be very effective for people dealing with gum and teeth issues. It can help prevent tooth decay, gum bleeding, and other diseases of the mouth, thus helping maintain oral hygiene. Start with taking one tablespoon of oil in your mouth after waking up in the morning, swish it around, and spit it around after 15-20 mins. Rinse and brush as you would normally do. Do not swallow the oil and spit it out as it does contain the bacteria of the mouth.
- Make-up remover – The micellar waters and other makeup removers that we get in the market do have alcohol and other ingredients that end up making our skin dry and bumpy. Instead, we can switch to coconut oil as it helps in breaking down the makeup and also moisturises the skin at the same time. A little bit of coconut oil on a cotton pad goes a long way, try this the next time you have a full face of makeup and feel the difference.
- Hair-care – Applying coconut oil to your tresses makes them smooth, frizz-free, and conditioned. Leaving- it in overnight helps lock moisture in the hair and prevents flaky scalp and dandruff. Add this oiling once a week to your regime to tame frizz and get shiny hair.
- Lubricate locks and hinges – If the lock or hinges at your home have become rusty or making a squeaky sound, a thin layer of coconut oil can be used to lubricate them to make it all smooth and fix squeaky hinges.
- As a wood-furniture polish – This is one of the popular household uses of coconut oil. Using coconut oil mixed with lemon juice as a natural booster for wood furniture is much cheaper than the average polish available. The coconut oil helps moisturise the wood and bring out its normal colours.
- Polish for leather shoes – Taking a little coconut oil on a microfibre cloth and wipe it on the shoes to make them clear, moisturised, and weather-resistant.
- Remove crayon marks – Coconut oil can be used to lift crayon marks – take some oil on a cloth and wipe the area away to remove the marks.