What and where is it ?
The Rang Ghar is basically two-storied building that once served as a royal sports arena where Ahom kings and nobles were spectators at games such as buffalo fights and other games at Rupahi Pathar (pathar meaning “field” in Assamese) – especially during the Rongali Bihu festival in Ahom’s capital Rangpur. It is 3 km from downtown Sivasagar. Located on the side of Assam Trunk Road, it is located northeast of the Rangpur Palace, a seven-story royal building comprising Talatal Ghar and Kareng Ghar.
During the reign of the mighty Ahom Dynasty, Assam recieved its cultural, political, social and economical richness.
Why is it so special in Architecture?
The roof of the Rang Ghar is shaped like the long-winded royal boat of Ahom. The base of the monument has a series of arched doors, while on the roof sits carved stone crocodiles.
Most arched doors retain more than just their brick frame, with remnants of carved ornaments here and there. The Ahoms, who used special, thin, baked bricks, did not use cement but attached rice and eggs as the mud of their construction, the Maati Maah mill and Borali Mach fish in Assamese. Use a mixture of powder and brick to cover the surface of the inner walls. It is said that this layer of flour is used to keep the interior of Rang Ghar cool.
The convening camp, known as the Rupohi Pothar, wore a ceremonial appearance in which games such as bullfighting, boxing, elephant fighting, fighting, etc., were held at different times during the reign of Ahom. Rang Ghar, in addition to standing as a royal, has also been instrumental in distributing the games to various parts of the state and neighboring Countries.
About a mile to the northeast of Rang Ghar is Joysagar Pukhuri. This is a man-made tank, which covers an area of about 120 acres of land. Excavations in memory of Joymoti Konwari, the mother of Rudra Singha – one of the most famous of the Ahom kings.
Who built it?
This magnificent structure is one of the oldest surviving amphitheaters in Asia. The structure was constructed during the reign of King Swargadeo Singha in AD 1744-1750.