Constipation. That feeling when we are not able to relieve our bowels in the morning spoils our mood, reduces the energy level, and adversely affects our skin and hair. But not anymore. Foremost, we should be clear that constipation is not a disease. Consider it more like a warning, a sign, an indication that our body is trying to give about dryness and coldness within your colon which is not allowing the stool to pass. If however ignored or not rooted in its cause, constipation can give rise to many other serious problems.
- After waking up, first thing in the morning you should have copper-charged water as it helps in digestion. Needless to say that drying beverages like coffee and tea upon waking up should be out if you are serious about treating constipation. Also, suffering from constipation, you should make it a point to drink this copper-charged water warm.
- Drinking water slowly in a squatting position creates pressure within that prepares the body for easy bowel movement.
- After 20 minutes of breakfast, you need to take 3 teaspoons of Abhyarishta and Kumaryasava with an almost equal amount of warm water. It is a powerful digestive tonic that pushes the movement in the intestines. It is prepared with aloe vera along with 15 other herbs. Its function is to lubricate the colon, push the toxins out and heal it.
- In between breakfast and lunch, comes the next step of holistic routine which is to have a glass of bel sharbat. If I had to suggest just one fruit to treat digestive disorders, I would say wood apple or bael or bilva as it is commonly called. Bael with its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties acts as a cleanser for the intestines. Avoid eating raw vegetable salads due to their drying and cold properties. Even fruits should not be consumed post-sunset. Ripe bananas, papaya, guava, grapes, pomegranates, and soaked figs are the fruits best for you. For proper lubrication, make sure that you are adding 1 teaspoon of desi cow ghee to every meal. Oats are specifically best for you. You can eat oatmeal mixed with milk and jaggery powder for breakfast or oats fried in ghee with vegetables.
- You need to consume flaxseed tea. Flaxseeds being oily and rich in both soluble and insoluble fiber are also laxative. It has a nice nutty taste and the tea is invigorating for the digestive system.
- 20 minutes after dinner, again have 3 teaspoons of Abhyarishta and Kumaryasava with an almost equal amount of warm water. Drink it slowly as it will also help in the fast digestion of your dinner.
- Finally, the last step of this holistic routine includes having 1 glass of warm milk boiled with a piece of ginger in it. Mix 1 teaspoon of castor oil to it. Castor oil is rich in ricinoleic acid, it forces the muscles of the intestines to contract and push out the stool. Have the milk slowly, warm, just like you sip tea and the benefit of it would be felt the next morning.