How we spend our morning is important in determining the mood for the day. If you have a calm, relaxed and organised morning routine, you tend to spend the rest of the day in composure and have better control over your mood and productivity. On the other hand, spending your morning in a hurry, being fuzzy and disturbed makes you irritated and leaves you feeling annoyed. The importance of having a proper morning schedule is known to all, but most of us tend to not be able to follow it. The first step to starting your day right is to wake up early in the morning. It is crucial to wake up and have some time for yourself, which you can spend in peace and solitude before you start getting busy in your daily activities. Having a morning routine is essential as it fosters self-development, a strong and healthy mindset, and increases self-discipline. Now that we know how important it is to wake up early, here are five morning habits that you can inculcate to change your life for the better and direct your life in the right path –
- Practice breathing and meditation – Start your day by practicing deep breathing which helps you in getting relaxed and prepare you for a calmer day. It is one of the best habits to set the trajectory of the day and keeps you energised and refreshed throughout the day. These exercises can enhance your physical, mental, and spiritual well-being and restore balance to your stress response system by improving concentration and reducing stress. The benefits of meditation, when done the first thing in the morning, are manyfold. If you are not in the practice, you can start for as little as 2 minutes and increase as you get used to it.
- Practice daily morning affirmations – All of us are buried with stress, anxiety and we tend to surround ourselves with feelings of worry and tension. Practicing positive affirmations in the morning can really change the way you feel about yourself. It induces positivity and makes you feel strong mentally. You can search for these affirmations on the internet or draft them on your own. Start with “I am” and keep it positive, like “I am strong”, “I am happy” while repeating it to yourself. Alternatively, you can also start writing these down or listen to these affirmations available in the form of podcasts, etc.
- Practice 10 mins of stretching – Moving your body in the form of simple stretches in the morning is beneficial to our physical and mental health. It relieves our body from any tension or pain from sleeping in the night, makes us more flexible and active, and with that relaxes us mentally. It increases blood flow and prepares you for a great day ahead. It positively affects your energy levels, decision-making, alertness as well which translates into a more productive day.
- Practice writing down the agenda for the day – Set the agenda for the day in the morning so that you can accomplish them during the day. It helps you feel organised and focused and adds structure to the rest of your day.
- Practice starting your day with lukewarm water – If you start your day with a cup of coffee, then it is time to stop doing it. Practice stating your day with water the first thing in the morning. To make it even more beneficial you can drink lukewarm water or even lukewarm lemon water in the morning. When we sleep throughout the night, we are dehydrated so water is important to restore hydration in the body. It also flushes out the toxins from the stomach, aiding digestion. Lemon water is also helpful for weight management, drinking it in the morning on an empty stomach boosts metabolism and is beneficial for overall health by cleansing internal waste and removing toxins from our system.