World Ocean Day 2021

World Ocean Day 2021

“No water, No Life “. As we all know that 29.2% of earth is surrounded by land and the remaining 70.8% of the earth is full of water mostly oceans and seas. Ocean water is mostly salt water. In many developed, developing and under developing countries, they purify the ocean water and supply it to people due to the scarcity of fresh water. It produces 50% of oxygen to the planet and it is the home for many aquatic organisms. It absorbs 30% of corbondioxide from the environment. There are many rare species living in the ocean and as a human it is our responsibility to save the rare species. This ocean is also one of the main source for the countries economy. With an estimation of nearly 40 million people round the world are working in the ocean based industries.

Yes, today is celebrated as World Ocean Day. Every year on June 8th is celebrated as World Ocean Day to save the ocean and the aquatic species living in the ocean. This day reminds us the sacrifice of the ocean to us. It is celebrated to create awareness among the people about the negative impacts of human activity to the oceans includes industrial wastes, throwing garbage wastes like plastics,oil leakages. Oceans are the lungs of our planet and is the main source of foods and medicines to us.

History:

It was suggested on June 8, 1992 in the earth submit of United Nations Conference on Environment and Development , Canada gave ab idea to celebrate World Ocean Day to create awareness among the people about the negative impacts by the people. It took 16 years to initiate this concept. In 2008, the United Nations General Assembly led by Canada passed the resolution 63/111 and proposed that on every year June 8 will be celebrated as World Ocean Day. The orientation program was happened a year later with the theme of “Our Ocean , Our Responsibility “. Every year on this precious day is celebrated as World Ocean Day with different theme.

Theme of the year:

This year the meeting was happened virtually. The theme of this year is ” The Ocean: Life and Livelihoods”. It states that “it is especially relevant in the lead up to the UN decade ocean science for sustainable development which will run from 2021 to 2030”. This decade will improve international cooperation to develop the scientific research and innovative technologies that can connect ocean science with the needs of society.

Sand art in odisha:

On this special day, padma shree awardee Sudarsan pattnaik a sand artist created a stunning sculpture on puri beach , odisha. His art became viral in social medias. Indian Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar tweeted as, plastic wastes will destroy not only terrestrial but also aquatic species. On this special day, India will release a two month long awareness campaign about plastic waste management and elimination of irrecyclable plastics. As a human beings, it is one of our responsibilities to take part in this activity to save and promote the lives of aquatic organisms.

” Together we can protect and save our ocean “

Categories: News