Some movies leave an impact on your mind for the rest of your life with their wonderful stories and the great acting skills of its actors. These are a few of those movies and certainly there are many more which are not in this list.
- Room: (8.1 IMDb rating) [Starring: Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay and Directed by Lenny Abrahamson] This is a movie about a mother and a son who are held captive in a shed for 7 years. The movie describes their journey to freedom in a beautiful way. They live a single room which has a toilet, a bed, a bathtub, a television, all in a very small space. Joy Newsome was abducted by ‘Old Nick’ and he kept her locked up in a small shed where he raped her routinely and Jack’s biological father is that same man, Old Nick. Joy prepares a great plan to escape and with the help of her, Jack escapes and informs the police and that is how they get freedom. After seeing the outside world for the first time, Jack is dazed by all of that.
- Dead Poets Society: (8.1 IMDb rating): [Starring: Robin Williams and Directed by Peter Weir] It is a story about a great teacher, John Keating, alumnus of the same school, Welton Academy, in which he teaches English to the boarding students. The way he teaches through his poetries is commendable. He not only teaches the theory subject but also teaches students about life, he tells them to seize each day of their life.
- ‘Before’ Trilogy: [Starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Deply and Directed by Richard Linklater] It consists of three films, Before sunrise, Before sunset, Before Midnight. All of the three films are beautifully scripted, they are minimal but the conversations between the characters makes the movie worth watching at least twice. The conversations range from life, love to parenting, age and loss.
- The pursuit of Happyness: (8 IMDb rating): [Starring Will Smith and Jaden Smith and Directed by Gabriele Muccino] The movie is based on a homeless man, Chris Gardner, and his struggle to and his journey towards a life changing career. He takes care of his son by himself as his girlfriend, Linda, walks out on him. With the help of his little son’s affection and trust in him, he builds a great career at last.
- What’s eating Gilbert Grape: (7.7 IMDb rating): [Starring Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Darlene Cates and Juliette Lewis and it is directed by Lasse Hallstrom] The Movie is about a 24-year-old man, Gilbert Grape, who is a grocery store clerk in a small town. Throughout the movie, he is shown taking care of his obese mother and mentally impaired younger brother, Arnie. Their father had committed a suicide 17 years earlier leaving Gilbert to care of his family, alone, because after his death, his mother spent most of the time on the couch, watching television and then her obesity leaves her unable to even move around.